Saturday, January 2, 2010

Back to Piano Learning?

After 2 months break from piano learning to deliver my baby girl, getting to know her better and getting used to life with her, I wish I can continue my hobby. However, currently I have some medical condition which might require a few operations to get well again. I have went for the first operation (minor) last Wednesday, and will go for my check up tomorrow to see how is my condition and decide if I need more minor operations. Hope that I can get well soon as it is affecting my life and my family's life, especially because of my condition, I cannot carry my baby and my hubby have been the one helping the baby to bath and hugging her. I miss hugging her and bathing her. And it has been very tiring for my hubby as this has already been for 2 weeks or so, and it might potentially be the case for a few more weeks. Ok, don't worry, the medical condition is not life threatening.

Anyway, my piano teacher had registered me for the ABRSM Grade 2 Theory Exams on the 13 March 2010. It costs S$83. I have completed the syllabus before I went on maternity leave, but have yet have the time to revise. I am suppose to resume back to my piano learning in Jan 2010, which is this month, but because of my medical condition, I decided to postpone it till I have fully recovered. Trying not to introduce too many things into my current life to create unnecessary stress. So, hopefully, I can resume back to piano learning latest by Feb 2010.

Motherhood seems more challenging than I thought. The nurses whom I have been in contact with, my confinement lady, my sisters and even my sister's maid all said that my baby girl is much harder to take care compared to most babies. Coz she cries a lot, need to feed a lot (every one to two hours), have problems going to sleep and gets very agitated when she can't go into sleep. And the greatest invention for her is the "sarong". But she needs to be constantly shaked for over like 1 hour plus in order to fall asleep. Else, she needs someone to pat her to sleep. Not a baby who can put herself to bed. So basically, my hands are not free to do what I like, without her crying for attention and security.

So, actually, I feel that to resume back to piano learning would be a challenging task. I could not even have the time to practise my piano without another person (usually my hubby) to comfort the baby. And as I am writing this entry, I have to constantly shake my baby who is sleeping in the "sarong". And it is impossible to do the same when I am practising the piano.

And when I am back to work, say if I am able to move to the role that I am hoping for, then I would not be able to work from home that often as compared to when I was pregnant. Ok, actually I do prefer going to office rather than working alone at home, and work with a team where everyone is in the same Singapore office, so that there is better teamwork and stronger relationship. But that would also mean that I have less time to spend practising the piano.

So, I actually do doubt that I will have the time to continue my hobby with my teacher, given that now, I need to spend more time on my little girl and I will also be focusing more on my career. And I still want one more baby. Maybe I might have to postpone piano learning until my kids are much older and they have their own friends and activities. As of now, my focus will be more on my family and my career.

Nonetheless, my Year 2010 Piano Resolution is to pass the ABRSM Grade 2 Theory exams with Distinction. And to be able to take the ABRSM Grade 2 Piano Practical exams with a pass is a bonus!

Happy New Year to all!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,
Do not be discouraged by what other people said of your baby being very difficult to care. Your baby is Special and you have to give lots of love, care and attention. Believe in yourself and that your baby is Special.

You are fortunate to have ....
1) 4 months of maternity leave with baby bonus. In Malaysia, maternity leave is still 2 months & no such thing as baby bonus.
2) A loving and capable husband who can help to care for your baby. I know many men who don't even know how to change a baby's diaper. Those men seem more interested in playing golf or spending time in pub drinking with their kakis.

About getting back to piano playing. Don't worry, you will soon be able to do so. Just do not give up or lose interest. I know 1 mother or 3 sons, started learning piano when her son was 1 year old. Last year, I found that she was already ABRSM grade 5 (after 7 years). Yes she took her time and never gave up!

You can do it too. I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best in your future piano exams.

Pooh Bear said...

Hi Val,

Thanks for your encouragement. I had went through an emergency operation subsequently, and now on my way to recovery. But according to the doctor, I will need about 2 months to recover. But needs to go back to the hospital every other day to clean the wound and so on. A very tiring process. But I am happy that now I am able to carry my baby for a short while without straining myself. And pick her up to play with her when she is in good mood (after good sleep, diaper change, feed and satisfied).

As my baby gets older by weeks, she seems to have established a routine herself and is getting better now. Whenever she is agitated, I can still calm her down by carrying her, patting on her back and helping her to go to sleep.

Ya, I really appreciate the 4 months maternity leave in Singapore. I can't imagine if I have to go back office now! Everything is still quite messy now. And of coz, my dear hubby who has been very supportive and hands-on, helping me with the night shift (taking care of the baby) so that I get more rest to recover faster.

As for piano learning, my hubby is very supportive of me continuing my hobby. And I managed to request for an alternate week class from my piano teacher, so that I can continue my piano learning slowly. And because after a few trial and error, we notice that the baby is very sensitive to the piano sound. She will be awaken by the piano sound and will cry very loudly whenever I practice on my Hailun piano when she is asleep. But she is ok sleeping with the TV on or the radio on. So my hubby got me a digital piano so that I can practice using headsets when the baby is sleeping, without disturbing her. I am still doing trial and error, hopefully one day, she can get used to the piano sound =P

Thank you for letting me know of this mother you know. I hope to be like her too. Jia You! =)

Unknown said...

hi

can i ask how is the hailun 125 now after 1 year of use? still gd?

i m a mum of three. my oldest girl, 7, is learning beginner and i'm thinkg of getting hailun 125 for her, due to limited budget and not sure if my girl will be determined to learn long term, though personally it was my children dream to learn piano too.

lauren

Unknown said...

also, have u ever heard of any negative feedback on hailun?

my search has been from yamaha JU109 which i latter learned its not exam model and indonesia made and $3200 and heard keys too light and sound will get brighter over the years, to the wilhelm tell 118 lugano (china made) $4300 and schobrunn $3900 (china made), to now I am inclined towards hailun 125 ($3600).

Unknown said...

maybe u can play nursery rhymes or lullaby or baby songs to calm your baby or let the baby get used to the sound. the baby may even grow to love piano music??

Pooh Bear said...

Hi Lauren,

I have no complaints on the piano. So far so good. My piano teacher tried the piano and said is a good buy, can finish Grade 8 with that one. So, I suppose is not bad lor.

Comparatively, HL125 vs JU109, I feel HL125 is much more worth it. Coz, is not as if JU109 is made in Japan, and ya, the keys are much lighter, which is not so useful coz during exams, the pianos in the exam halls are heavier. Good to have a heavier keys to train the fingers, so that playing on the other pianos is a breeze.

For both case, the resale price is comparable bah. Given that not many pple actually want to buy 2nd hand JU109, so no demand. In fact, I would think HL125 might have an upper hand, since is taller and is considered a professional piano.

I tried Wilhelm Tell 118 Lugano, but never try Schobrunn, but I still prefer Hailun, coz:
1. is cheaper
2. is taller
3. the sound is nicer (I like the thick sound - personal preference)

Haha, I tried playing nursery rhymes or lullaby. She seems to prefer being carried and have mummy to play and talk to her, than listening to my playing even when she is awake and contented. And I can't play with she is asleep within my sight, think is too loud for her. So now, I only play on my Hailun on weekends when my hubby can look after the baby in another room, with the doors closed, to reduce the volume. Else, I will be using the digital one (either with low volume or with headsets). We will slowly let her get used to it.