Friday, March 19, 2010

New Piano Teacher...

I used to have my piano lessons every Wednesday evening after work. However after my little princess arrived to this world and me going back to work after my maternity leave, I no longer will be to make it for weekdays classes. Sadly, my current piano teacher will not be able to take me on Saturdays as her Saturday is fully packed with students who are unable to swop with me and she is not teaching on Sundays. However, I want to continue my piano learning journey, hence I have change my piano teacher.

I will start with my new piano teacher in April. She is Jacqueline Cho. Her blog is here: http://www.jacquelinecho.blogspot.com/

I had a close to 2 hours interview session with her. To get to know her better, and to let her know me better. When I played a few pieces for her from the "Keys to Stylistic Mastery Book 2", she didn't have any much comments on my playing, just said that I played well. Also, she mentioned that the Book 2 which I am using is actually for Grade 3 to 5 range. And says that I should not have any problems preparing for my Grade 2 exams which will be coming in July - Sept. Her piano lessons fees are more expensive than my current teacher's one. I paid $140 for 4 lessons with my current teacher, and will need to pay $160 for the new teacher. Also, my current teacher allows me to have lessons on alternate week, but this new teacher does not allow. And even if she is ok, I will still need to pay $140 for the 2 lessons a month! So expensive =(

Not only that, the piano which the new piano teacher is so lousy =( When I played on it, the keys were not of the same touch. And when I highlighted to her that the piano is not correct, she just said that oh ya, it has yet been tuned. It is not only not tuned, it is also very badly maintained! Sigh, my current teacher's piano is so nice to play on.

And her house is so messy! So many pets, hamsters and dog! Ah!!! Ok, I am not someone who like pets actually, but I find the whole place very messy, dirty, smelly, noisy and dark! Actually I am very reluctant to change my piano teacher. But if I don't change, I will not have the chance to continue my piano learning journey. Well, between the two, I just have to accept the not so good teacher lor. =(

Hope my first lesson will help me change my negative impression lor.

3 comments:

Karmeleon said...

S$140 is expensive? I paid S$60 and eventually S$75 per hour for my violin lessons. I pay per 4 lessons, so if i am not free a particular week, that's quite fine.

My boys who are learning various instruments are being charged fees the same way too - for every 4 lessons only. Goes the same way if they suddenly decide they need to have 2 or 3 lessons in 1 week - maybe bc near auditions/performances/exams. Then would have to pay sooner, lor.

Pooh Bear said...

Grade 2 piano for $70 per 45 mins not expensive meh? Btw, just interested, what is the market rate to learn violin? Like, what grade, how much?

Karmeleon said...

Depends on teacher really. Some teachers just charge by hour, no matter what grade. My son is paying around S$70/hour. Considered cheap since his tr is from SSO.