Sunday, September 12, 2010

Grade 5 and beyond...

Just wanted to see what it is like for Grade 5 and beyond, so went to look at the complexity of the scores and the music theory books:-

Keys to Stylistic Mastery Book3
John W. Schaum Piano Course - G - The Amber Book (Grade 5)
ABRSM Grade 5, 6, 7 and 8 exam pieces

They look scary! I mean, when I look at the books which I am currently using, at least I feel, ok they are difficult but it is still possible. But when I looked at the Grade 5 and beyond pieces, I have the "jaw drop" feeling. They look so complicated, with so many "bean sprouts"!

Then I also went to looked at the Music Theory in Practice. Shocked to realised that the books are so thick compared to the books which I am currently using. And different author. No longer Eric Taylor. The Music Theory Books are not longer binded together using staples! Ok, just roughly look through the syllabus, there is so much on music composition for orchestra and for different instruments, must remember each instrument's range, which clef to use. There are some numbers (which I don't understand) written below the scores to denote something. And really need to know the intervals very well and need to know what are the characteristics of the pieces in which period. Really not easy!

Haha, looking at those, I start to find Grade 4 not as bad as I initially thought. Guess is always good to look at something much more difficult to be mentally prepared for the challenges...

Salute to all those Grade 5 and above! You are wonderful! =D

No comments: