Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jazz Music!

Had been so busy for the past few weeks, that I didn't have the time to update my blog! So, finally after all that mad rush at work, I get the time to review what I have learnt so far for my piano. Haha!

Ok, so far, I have completed the first 3 periods of the "Keys to Stylistic Mastery Book 1". Namely, the Baroque period, the Classical period and the Romantic period. I don't particularly like any of the period, but maybe the repertoires which I am exposed to is still very limited given that I am still in the very early stage of my piano learning.

So, to do something different rather than going through page by page through my basic diet, my teacher exposed me to another kind of music. Jazz piano. Jazz is an important and distinctive American contribution to 20th century music. While the "Keys to Stylistic Mastery" is the European music over different periods. I played a piece from the book "Jazz, Rags and Blues Book 2", and the piece is titled "Jelly Bean Rag". According to my teacher, this is considered as a Grade 2 piece. Well, took me 3 weeks to master the whole piece. This was over 3 pages, first time having to practice with page turning while playing. Not easy.

Good to try something different, and currently, back to my "textbook", I have moved on to the 4th period, which is the Impressionist Period...

No comments: