Friday, January 13, 2012

Grade 8 Music Theory?

This is something that I am considering. Should I proceed to continue to learn the Music Theory after my Mar exams? My piano teacher is not teaching Music Theory from Grade 6 and above. So, I will need to find another teacher to learn from if I wish to continue. And then the question is, I learn until Grade 8 for what?

The higher Music Theory Grades seems to be more on composition for different instruments in an orchestra to create harmony and identifying the composer and the period of a given piece, which seems interesting to me but very intimidating. And is not as if I will be really composing a piece for an orchestra. Would I be even able to hear my composed piece played by an orchestra? Is there a software where I can load the scores and they play it out for me to hear? Haha. It is then will I know if the piece I compose sounds horrible or not. Hahaha.


I went to check out the rates to learn the higher Music Theory. They don't come cheap. I mean, a rough estimation is about $3k+ just to learn from Grade 6 to 8. And that is provided I am "talented". If I stupid stupid, the amount might be more if I insist that I want to pass the Grade 8 exams.

Anyway, a teacher offered to teach me during my lunch time on weekdays, which means I don't need to think of ways to settle my 2 kids while I go for lessons, since they will be in the childcare from 7am to 7pm on weekdays. And she claims that she can cover Grade 6 to 8 syllabus and prepare me for the Grade 8 theory exams in 7 months, which works out to be about $1.2k in total. Should I just give it a try and see how?

2 comments:

Karmeleon said...

I also want to know about that tutor. ;D Can email to me? Thanks.

My boy is doing g6 in March.

It might be possible to self-study? but must be v self-motivated. My younger boy's chinese music teacher did on her own, and only did g8 and got distinction.

Pooh Bear said...

It is Carol and her email address is theory.ding@gmail.com.

She quoted me $150 for 4 one hourly lessons.

I have thought of self study, but because model answers are not available, which makes it harder.

Which books did your son use for his Grade 6 Theory?