Thursday, July 7, 2011

Updates on my Piano Learning

Just wanted to post some updates...


My Grade 5 piano lessons is suppose to be 45 mins per lesson. Although, the lessons usually span from 45mins to 1 hour. In fact, I have checked with my teacher and she says that all her lessons will be 45 mins even when I move up to Grade 6, 7 and 8.


And the tentative charges will be as such:




Grade 5 --- $160/4 lessons (45 mins each including Theory)

Grade 6 --- $180/4 lessons (45 mins each excluding Theory)

Grade 7 --- $200/4 lessons (45 mins each excluding Theory)

Grade 8 --- $220/4 lessons (45 mins each excluding Theory)




And my teacher shared that she will not be teaching Grade 6 and above Music Theory. So which means, if I want to continue to learn my Music Theory up to Grade 8, I will need to look for another teacher who just teach Grade 6 to 8 theory or who can teach both Grade 6 to 8 piano and theory. But I start to like my current teacher, so maybe, I am not that keen to change a piano teacher. Maybe I will look for group lesson for my theory. Anyway, that is an arrangement that I will need to make next year after I sit for my Grade 5 theory and practical exams and receive my results.




I have started to learn my exam pieces and my Grade 5 scales. This first exam piece is A:2 Joseph Hector Fiocco (1703-41) Andante: from Pieces de clavecin, Op. 1. I managed to play through the whole piece. But not at performance level yet. I am actually surprise that I can still play the piece. Haha, I had always think the Grade 5 exam scores look scary and is impossible. And ya, I noticed my sight-reading has improved alot since I completed my Grade 2 exams. Thanks to Nancy for forcing me to learn a new piece every week. But I think I have much to brush up before I am ready to sit for the Grade 5 exams, hence keep practising! =)

4 comments:

Karmeleon said...

My eldest son is doing grade 6 and upwards theory now. You might not find it necessary. He just felt like he should do a grade 8 theory eventually as it'd help him. He goes to a school. 3 of them in a class, taught by the Principal herself. Not many are qualified to teach advanced theory, I guess. It's S$140/4lessons.

Pooh Bear said...

Can u share with me the details of the school? I am just interested to do the theory as it involves composition, which is something that i want to learn. Actually is more for interest...

boyorange said...

I've been reading your blog with interest. And I'm thoroughly impressed by your dedication and how far you've come in just 2 - 3 years of learning the piano. I'm in the midst of getting the renos done at my punggol flat and the size of the flat worries me to get a U1. I saw some pieces at IMM from a 2nd hand dealer. Still muddling over which to buy - new or used, Yamaha or other brands.
I'll continue reading your blog :)

Cheers!

Pooh Bear said...

Hi boyorange,

Thanks for visiting my blog. Enjoy ur piano buying and ya, reno and planning for a new flat can both be tiring and rewarding, esp after all the furnitures are in :)

There is sure space for an upright piano, just need to think how to plan the space you have.