Sunday, April 24, 2011

Officially promoted to Grade 5?

My piano teacher has promoted me to Grade 5, that is, charging me Grade 5 fees since 1 April 2011. But I have not totally moved into Grade 5 in all the aspects of my piano learning. Hence, I do think she is charging a Grade 5 fees prematurely. But afterall, she is not charging as much as other piano teachers, hence, I took the "give and take" approach and allowed to be prematurely promoted to Grade 5. Afterall, don't want her to feel unhappy and she did touch on Grade 5 stuff, and with that, hope she will focus more on me.

Although prematurely, below is the time I have moved from one Grade to another.
Not counting the 3 months which I rested when I gave birth. This is the start of the 33th month into my piano learning. I will be in Grade 5 for quite a while as the exams is tentatively schedules on the 2nd half of 2012.

Beginner --- 6 mths (no exams)

Grade 1 ---- 8 mths (no exams)
Grade 2 --- 10 mths (theory & practical exams - 7 mths of alternate week lessons)
Grade 3 ---- skip
Grade 4 ---- 7 mths (no exams,alternate week lessons, including the 3 mths break I took to catch up)
Grade 5 ---- starting from Apr 2011

The fees she charges are below, which includes both theory and practical. Reasonable?
Beginner ---- $100 / 4 lessons
Grade 1 ----- $110 / 4 lessons
Grade 2 ----- $120 / 4 lessons
Grade 3 ----- $130 / 4 lessons
Grade 4 ----- $140 / 4 lessons
Grade 5 ----- $160 / 4 lessons
**Noted that most teachers increases the lesson time from 45 mins to 60 mins in Grade 5. Maybe I should ask her too...

What I have covered so far:-

Scales and Arpeggios:
Using the ABRSM Grade 5 Book now.
Learnt all the major scales (both hands together and hands separately)
Learnt 9 harmonic minor scales
(both hands together and hands separately)
Learnt 3 harmonic minor scales (hands separately only)
12 melodic minor scales (not yet)
Contrary-motion scales (not yet)
Chromatic scales (starting from all black keys only, white keys not yet)
Chromatic contrary-motion scales (not yet)
6 Arpreggios
(both hands together and hands separately)
18 Arpeggios (not yet)

Exam Pieces:
Just bought the ABRSM Grade 5 book, but not yet started.

Aural:
Not yet started. Will be using Nancy's book.

Sight-reading:
Just bought the ABRSM Grade 5 book, but not yet started.

Theory:
About 66% through Grade 4 theory.

Keys to Stylistic Mastery 2:
3 more new pieces from contemporary period before I finish the book.

John W. Schaum Piano Course F - The Brown Book:
Learnt 6 pieces.

A Dozen A Day Book 2:
Have not touched it for a real long time. Guess Nancy is not keen to touch on this.

18 comments:

Karmeleon said...

Hah - some teachers just charge a standard fee for their time. eg. S$80/hour. It doesn't matter what grade. Still takes up same amount of their time, right? ;D

Pooh Bear said...

Haha, but requires different efforts? Maybe teaching a beginner, they can "eat more snake" compared to teaching a diploma student?

$80/hour is a lot! That is about $320/mth! Piano teachers do earn quite a fair bit ah...5 students a day (5 hours)...5 days week, that make up 25 students...and add up to $8k/mth! Wow!

Karmeleon said...

If it's an adult like you, the teacher can make effort to teach really quickly though, so there's really no slacking.

Karmeleon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TGH said...

I'm paying about $60 per hour for my Grade 5 - now in Grade 3 taking ABRSM in July ;-)

TGH said...

I'm paying $60 per hour for my Grade 5 recently. I'm also an adult learner started last year now going for my Grade 3 practical in July. :-)

Unknown said...

Nice to read your blog and know adults learning piano too. ;)

Pooh Bear said...

Hi TGH,

Good luck for your Grade 3 exams!

$60 per hour for Grade 5 sounds quite expensive. That is $240 per month. I think it is on the high end...

Pooh Bear said...

Hi Jing Hui,

Thanks for visiting my blog. So sorry for the slow response, hasn't been able to update my blog as often as I hoped for.

Nice knowing other adults learning piano too! I had been a very enriching experience for me...

Karmeleon said...

I think teaching a child would take more effort, so should charge more? Haha. I just searched out a Piano teacher for my almost 3yo. They say for that age must use Senior Teacher! LOL. Well, actually I also don't want one that's not so experienced.

Unknown said...

Another teacher's rate is $300 for Grade 5. Lol.. So $240 maybe seems ok? I think it depends on the qualification and experience of the teacher. If she is really good, I think it's worthy. :)

Pooh Bear said...

Hi Karmeleon,

Haha! Maybe they need a teacher who has experience teaching young children. I think it taes a lot of patience and effort to teach young children. Many of my teachers do not take in students below 4 years old.

Pooh Bear said...

Hi Jing Hui,

Ya, if the teacher is really good, it is worth paying more. And hopefully you can learn from the same teacher even when u move on to higher grades.

Anyway, when are u starting your first lesson with ur new teacher?

Pooh Bear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karmeleon said...

Yah, S$40 for 30mins session! But she was real good with him. He's not even 3 yet. And he responded well with her. At least she's gotten him to use all his fingers to play now. All this while he's been playing pieces by himself, but refused to use anything other than his Index Finger (strongest finger, I guess). If she's good, no need to change teacher actually, bc she's qualified to teach all the way, diploma and all.

Pooh Bear said...

I saw a picture you took in your blog of your not-yet-3 year old.

Oh!!! He can read notes already!!! And the score is so huge!!!

I guess the musical genes run in your family!

Karmeleon said...

The score I printed for him lah. If you want, I can pass you the PDF files. I really don't know if he can read the score.

Pooh Bear said...

I will try to create my own for my niece. I like that idea! Thanks much.