Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Had my 2nd Tuning on 14 June

Haha, I know I am posting this a bit late, but had been so busy with other stuff that I rarely have the time to post stuff now.

Just wondering, do you usually sit in the room when the tuner is tuning your piano, or you just leave the tuner alone to do the tuning? Haha, I guess I am not experience enough to notice if the piano did go out of tune or not, and am happy that it was being tuned again, coz everyone says that it should be tuned once every 6 months.

Previously, I had stayed in the room with the tuner and see how he tune my piano, and I felt that I was "supervising" him too much, and felt a little guilty. But rather because that was the first time I see someone tune a piano, so was very interested, and happily sat behind him. This time round, I decide that I should leave the tuner alone, so I led him to the room where my piano is and on the aircon, left the door slightly open and let him do his job alone. And I assume he is done with his tuning when he starts playing tunes on the piano, and thank him for coming.

Is that what you usually do during your piano tuning session? And do you offer him drinks? I offered him, but in the end, he left it on the table and didn't drink it. Do you test on the piano in front of the tuner after he tunes? Haha, I guess I am not a very "talkative" person, so, I also don't know what to talk to him about. Haha, and maybe coz I am still at the very beginning stage of my piano learning, so haha, nothing to discuss with him =P

Appreciate if you can share your experiences as well.

1 comment:

Ani said...

It's ok to stay in the room. I usually bring in a canned or packet drink, and stand at the door of my room while the technician does the tuning. Just want to make sure he tunes every key. If he doesn't, I'll ask why.

Before the tuning, I test out every single key to get a feeling of what might be sounding bad. For example, one of the Cs sounded very tinny. I couldn't live with it, so after the tuning, I checked those problematic keys to make sure that they are fixed.

Not all tuners like to talk. I find that the younger ones do not speak much, but the uncles are really chatty. You could learn alot by asking questions. Did you know that the gap between the keys could be adjusted? I didn't, but one of the uncles showed it to me. Really interesting.