Saturday, December 13, 2008

My new Piano Teacher

After so many years of waiting, I finally decided to start taking formal piano lessons and also to take my piano exams. Hence, I wanted to look for a teacher in Sengkang (near my house). And after some google search on the web, I found my 2nd piano teacher. Well, I felt that going back to my first piano teacher was not feasible, since she stays in Toa Payoh and I have moved house to Sengkang after marriage. Contacts of my 2nd piano teacher is here:
www.vocestudio.classicalpianoteacher.com

I am not very interested in joining the schools that are available in Sengkang, which is either Cristofori & Sonare, maybe because the teachers are usually part-time teachers, who are still schooling themselves. Hence, they are most probably younger than myself, and hence not as experienced in teaching piano. Also, I heard that in these schools, the teachers will insist that you start from Beginners again, and may ask you to buy this and buy that during the lessons, even when the classes are cheaper. Some even says that they teach practical and theory separately. So you need to sign up for both courses to learn both, which would be more expensive than if you have just get a private teacher.

So now back to my new Piano Teacher. Guess what? She was my JC schoolmates and we were in choir together. So cool! As a teacher, after trying out 3 lessons, I think she is ok. Able to pick up my weaknesses and areas to improve. Very systematic, on doing theory, doing small theory tests, doing scales and choosing practical books to help improve my weaknesses. But the only problem so far is that I cannot take lessons on weekends, coz she is only available on weekdays. And as a working adult, it is actually quite difficult for me. But will just see how it goes...


Books I am using now:-
1. Manuscript Book
2. Improve your sight-reading Grade 1
3. Music Theory in Practice (Eric Taylor) ABRSM Publishing Grade 1
4. Piano Scales & Broken Chords (from 2009) Grade 1
5. Keys to Stylistic Mastery (28 Late Elementary to Early Intermediate Pieces from Five Style Periods)

No comments: